Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Schindler's List(Matt)

I first watched this movie in high school as part of a fairly intensive study of the Holocaust. I can still remember seeing this in the theater. In the years between then and now I had forgotten a lot of the movie. I am afraid to admit that a lot of the movie back then was lost on me as I was a snotty teenage kid who cared neither for black and white movies nor for movies that were too serious.

It's because of this that I was excited to approach this movie a second time. The difference was amazing. This movie really was hard to watch. It's not like most of the scary films that you see where some monsters are attacking people in areas of low light. Most of the horrifying things that you see on screen actually happened. I read that to create some of the scenes that Spielberg took accounts from people who saw it happen. People that actually lived through this craziness.

This movie really does a good job of making what happened during the Holocaust become real. It's one thing to hear stories or to read in history books about how the Jews were treated and murdered during this dark period of humanity's history. It's another altogether to actually witness it with your own eyes and ears. To see it happen right there on the screen. It gives me chills just thinking about it. It's much more powerful to me than books or told stories, and I feel like this is most likely the case with most of my generation and those under it. I feel like this movie should be required viewing for every person in the world, once they are old enough to understand it that is.

I was so focused on this movie that I hardly noticed any acting at all. That is a sure sign that it was good. The use of black and white worked really well, as it helped to transport me to that period of time. There is a bit of color in the film, and it is used brilliantly.

I agree with John completely here, I don't have anything bad to say about this movie. Go see it. 10 out of 10.

P.S. Did you know that Spielberg refused to make any money from this movie at all? He donated everything he made.

~Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment