Sunday, June 28, 2009

Schindler's List(John)

This was a powerful film. Any movie that can make me shed a tear is doing a darn good job of being a movie in my opinion. Granted, the movie was about a real tragic moment in history, but the film was still able to bring that sadness and horror across the screen.

Liam Neeson is an underrated actor. I first saw him in Darkman, an old B-movie, and he was awesome in it. But, I never thought he was of the acting caliber that he demonstrated in Schindler's List. I can't help but wonder why he hasn't been cast in more blockbuster films. Ben Kingsley was amazing as usual. These two actors were able to portray the division that was apparent between Nazis and Jews, but also show that everything isn't black and white and that some Nazis had Jewish friends and vice versa. Ralph Fiennes made me hate his character, which is a good thing.

The choice of shooting this film in black and white was a good one I think. It set the scene perfectly. Throughout the whole film, the movie is in black and white, with the exception of a few moments. These moments stand out, I think, because black and white are used to represent despair and tradgedy and the color moments are used to represent hope. It was a unique way of showing pivital moments during the film.

I couldn't find anything I disliked about this film. I was completely moved by it and immersed the entire 197 minutes. Acting was top notch, the unique film style was interesting, the score was amazing and the story gave me an appreciation of what the Jewish people faced during the Holocaust.

I give it a 10 out of 10.

- John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment