Friday, June 5, 2009

Raging Bull(John)

I think I may have liked this movie a little better than Taxi Driver. And I think the only reason is I was able to completely understand this movie. Taxi Driver was very psychotic and there were some fairly confusing plot points. However, with Raging Bull, I had no problem understanding what was going on.

Once again, De Niro delivers an excellent performance. While I'm not certain if he captured the real Jake La Motta, as I know nothing about the boxer, he definitely made me believe that I was watching a man who had a lot of security issues sprinkled in with a self-destructive nature. His rise and fall throughout the movie was entertaining to watch and reminds me of a lot of characters in other Scorsese films. Joe Pesci was great as well. He provided some excellent comic relief in my opinion.

I really didn't take much notice of the score in this movie. The thing I noticed the most regarding the sound was that all of the dialogue outside of the boxing matches was very quiet. It was hard to hear most of the dialogue. Inside the ring, however, the sound seemed like it was amped up in order to convey the chaos that was happening.

The was the film was shot was very unique. The entire movie, with the exception of a few scenes, was shot in black and white. I'm not sure if it was because it was in black and white, or if it was the angle of some of the camera shots, but this movie seemed like it was actually made in the 40s and 50s.

I really liked this movie. De Niro was amazing once again, and the movie pulled me right in. I'd have to give it a 8.7 out of 10.

-John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment