Monday, June 8, 2009

Raging Bull (Matt)

This is our second round with the De Niro, Scorsese duo and I have to say I liked this one much better than the other. The plot was more organized, the actors were more real, and the film overall was just well... better.

Robert De Niro is amazing. Before we started this blog I had never seen any of his early work, and I liked him purely based on his new material. The viewing of his older stuff however, has elevated him to me from more than just a good actor to more of an icon. A true movie star. His acting in this movie was amazing. I will point out as an example that often parodied scene where he is looking into a mirror and rehearsing a speech: "I coulda been a contenda". Watching his facial expressions in this scene I was just amazed. He pulled that off so well.

I wasn't sure at first about the film being in black and white. I thought it would have a negative effect on the experience of the movie. Now that I've seen it, I think the movie would have been fine being in color, but I have no problems with the fact that it wasn't. I wasn't ever taken out of the story by the lack of color and ultimately, that's what matters to me.

I was swept into the story of this boxer and I stayed interested till the end. This is by no means my favorite movie ever but I liked it. I'll give it 7 brother face punches out of 10.

~Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment