Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Papillon(John)

I thought this was an excellent movie. I can understand why the film got the Oscar nomination for music. The combination of sound and music just sucks you right into the film.
Compared to other films, there is little spoken dialogue and you would think this could be a detriment to the film. But, it conveys exactly what it means to. In particular, the scene where Steve McQueen's character spends 2 years in solitary hit me especially hard. He portrays a man who is slowly going insane perfectly in those scenes. Dustin Hoffman did just as well with his portrayal of Dega. He was able to display a weakness to the character but also display a humorous side as well as a resourcefulness that kept him out of trouble....mostly. The movie was pretty graphic which pulled me in even more. Papillon is about two and a half hours long, but I really didn't notice too much. I was in the movie the whole time.

The ending of the movie was a little bit weird. The movie is based on a book which is supposedly a true story. But, some of the things that happened at the end of the film really perplexed me. They seemed really odd and out of character for Papillon. However, the loose ends were tied up and overall this was a really good movie.

I'm going to give it a 8 out of 10

-John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment