Monday, April 6, 2009

Le Voyage dans la lune

Wow, what a gem of a movie. This is the oldest movie I've ever watched and I had more fun watching it than I have with a lot of movies made today. The sense of adventure that Georges Méliès managed to create with such old technology is astonishing. I particularly enjoyed the beginning scene, in which the professors are debating the trip.

The sets were also captivating. The moon was quite amazing to look at. It reminded me of being young and imaging what the moon was like, and made me want to let my imagination go free.

I also want to mention the acting. The film is silent, so there isn't any voices coming from the actors, however the way they moved was interesting. All of their movements were exaggerated, and this, alongside the fantastic settings, gave the film a very cartoonish feel. I can only imagine what it would have been line to actually see this film when it was new. I wonder if audiences back then thought that it was real, and that these people really did go to the moon. At the very least I'm sure many of the children that saw it thought so.

I would definately recommend it. It's short and you can watch it on the YouTube links posted by John in his earlier post. It's quite a lot of fun.

- Matt Hurdle

No comments:

Post a Comment