Friday, October 23, 2009

Nosferatu(John)

This movie was just OK to me. I understand the significance of it, and there were things to like about the movie, but it was by no means the best movie I've ever seen.

The characters overall were great. Mike Shreck, who played Nosferatu, may be the creepiest Dracula I have ever seen on film. His demeanor was so different from other Draculas. Most Dracula characters are regal charlatans. This Dracula, from the beginning, had no problems showing his true colors. The character of Knock was truly insane. He played the part excellently. The only character I think I had a problem with was Hutter. This guy was ridiculous. His exaggerated facial expressions and wishy-washy emotions were humorous to me at a time when I was looking for something creepy or scary.

The music was completely out of place in this movie. I think the version I watched had restored music. And, it was terrible. Just when I thought I was getting into the film, the music would start this light-hearted flute or something and then that's all I could think about. If there was more appropriate music or no music at all, I think I would've liked this movie a lot more.

I've seen very few silent films but this one surprised me. For a while at the beginning, I thought this was a remake of the film. I was expecting to barely make out faces and experience a more grainy picture quality. But the picture was quite clear. I also enjoyed the "special effects", such as the fast moving horse and buggy and Dracula packing up all by himself to go to London. Overall the cinematography was great and it was probably revolutionary for its time.

As I said, this movie was just ok. I couldn't get into the film because of the annoying music and the lead character, Hutter. Every other aspect was pretty good. I would recommend everyone see this movie, just to experience the scariest Dracula ever put to film, but don't be surprised if this movie under performs. A 6 out of 10.

- John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment