Friday, October 9, 2009

Annie Hall (Matt)

This is another movie that I've heard nothing but praise for. Most of the people who know the name of this movie are big fans of it, and because of this I had the bar set high going into it. I was expecting movie gold and would settle for nothing less.

The movie started strong. I enjoyed the characters, I enjoyed the story, I like the comedy, and I loved the directing. I was interested and entertained as I watched the two main characters meet and begin their relationship. About 45 minutes into the movie however, I began to lose a bit of interest. We watched this on a rainy night, so that might contribute to it, but I got a bit bored and that lead to sleepiness. I didn't fall asleep, but I did come close. This didn't last for long however, as I was quickly brought back by the films constant sense of humor mixed with reality. I managed to fight off being sleepy and stay interested until the end, with that one exception.

Up until the end of the film I considered this movie to be about a 6, maybe a 7. It was a nice view of a relationship between two somewhat eccentric people. As I mentioned before, the humor and the brilliant directing kept me interested. I loved it when Alvy Singer (the main character), would talk to the audience. Those were my favorite scenes by far. I laughed and I was entertained. It was a very decent movie.

Then, then end happened. We were presented with a montage of scenes featuring the highlights of the relationship between Alvy and Annie. When I watched this montage I was blown away. I realized then that I felt connected to this couple and to their relationship. I had lived through these highs and lows with them and I felt so connected to them that I was terribly sad that the relationship had ended. I had connected with them on a level that it almost unheard of via a movie and I had no idea that this connection had been made until that ending montage. It was an emotional and moving experience that I wasn't ready for.

After seeing that last bit of the movie my opinion of the movie changed. I went from that 6 or 7 straight up to a 9 or 10. This movie I think will stay with me for a long time. It was so easy to see relationships my own past injected into scenes of this film.

The acting was amazing. In particular is the way that Woody Allen and Diane Keaton portrayed that awkward friendliness that often follows ended relationships. It was spot on.

The direction was unique and very entertaining. As I mentioned when Alvy would break the story and come communicate with the audience it was always a treat. I like the short animated scene in the film and also quite enjoyed the subtitles for what the two characters were thinking while they had their first real conversation.

This movie was great. 9 expensive sneezes out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment