Friday, July 3, 2009

Ghost Busters(John)

I love, love, love this movie. I've seen this movie so many times, I can probably recite the script from beginning to end. Aykroyd and Ramis were geniuses for coming up with the world of the Ghost Busters and I'm hoping for a third film!

The real star of Ghost Busters is Bill Murray. The way he delivers his lines is hilarious. There is one particular scene in the movie when the Ghost Busters first enter the Sedgewick Hotel. Bill Murray gives a certain look to someone of the female persuasion. It's just a look, but it's one of the funniest moments in the movie I think. If Bill Murray hadn't been cast as Peter Venkman, I'm not sure if many people would remember a movie called Ghost Busters. Another big star of the film is New York City. I've said this many times, but Ghost Busters has a charm and a big part of that charm is the movie's references to New York City. We don't just get a movie with small set pieces. We get a movie where the Ghost Busters are on top of an apartment complex watching a giant Mr. Stay Puft trample downtown New York City while the citizens are screaming and running for their lives. The team members of the Ghost Busters love the city and in turn, they are treated with loving respect by the citizens of NY.

Some of the special effects are dated by today's standards. But Mr. Say Puft still looks pretty amazing and the ghosts actually benefit from aged FX in my opinion. The music is awesome. Anybody who hasn't lived under a rock for the past 20 years knows the Ghost Busters theme song. It's an iconic song that I think will be well known for many more years to come.

I can't give this movie any less than a 10 out of 10 simply because I grew up with this movie. But to back it with actual points: the comedy is still fresh, the visuals are not too outdated, Bill Murray is amazing and the story concept(that I know of) hasn't been duplicated by anyone else. Oh, and if you're a big fan, go get Ghost Busters: The Video Game. It's basically the third movie and it's pretty good!

- John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment