Friday, May 22, 2009

Taxi Driver(John)

Well, this was my kind of movie. For some reason, I am drawn to the film noir and psycho killer movies. American Psycho is one of my favorite movies. I can see where that film took a lot from Taxi Driver.

So, Robert De Niro was amazing in this movie. You could just see the transition that was taking place in his mind throughout the movie. He made me feel like I was watching a true lonely insomniac try to function in society. He had a hard time expressing things to other people and I could see the exhaustion in his eyes. The other cast complimented him well, but overall they mostly felt like set pieces for De Niro's performance.

The music was very noir-ish throughout the movie. But, there were other pieces added in that gave you the erratic feeling that let you know that this is no ordinary noir film. I loved the voice over narration that is typical with noir films.

The world of New York hasn't looked more gritty. The film definitely showed the darker side of New York. Prostitutes, pimps, drug dealers, dirty government officials, you name it. It was all conveyed perfectly I thought.

Overall I really liked the movie. It was a little confusing at times, but I think that was the point. De Niro was excellent but I felt that the other cast members were only there to compliment him. I would've liked to know more about the young girl and even Harvey Kietel's character. But I realize that wasn't the point of the film so I'm okay with it.

I'm giving Taxi Driver an 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment