Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Outlaw Josey Wales(John)

I'm glad I finally got to watch all of this movie. My dad is a huge western fan and I've seen bits and pieces of this film throughout my life but had never taken the time to watch it. It was excellent.

First and foremost is Clint Eastwood. He is the definition of western(beside John Wayne, of course). And the fact that this movie is considered one of the best western films ever lends credit to Eastwood's directing prowess as well. The movie kept me interested throughout. I love revenge stories and this one did not disappoint. There were humorous moments in the film as well. The old Indian does an awesome job of providing comic relief. And I was eagerly anticipating the next time Josey Wales would spit on something. It was also nice to see regulars from other Eastwood films such as his ex-wife and the biker dude from Any Which Way But Loose.

The scenery was your typical western motif. Deserts, ghost towns and Indians fleshed out the world. I liked how there was really no flashy costumes that are typical in some westerns. This film definitely tried to keep a "real" tone. There was plenty of gore and the action sequences were well played out.

The music was very good as well. The score was very bombastic during the action sequences. And some parts were kinda reminiscent of the Man With No Name series of films.

I can safely say I loved this movie. I can't think of one thing I didn't like about the movie. It's probably been my favorite since the start of this "endeavor". It may be because I basically grew up watching parts of the movie, or because I'm a big Clint Eastwood film. Either way, I have to give this one a 9.5 out of 10.

- John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment