Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Outlaw Josey Wales (Matt)

This movie is my father-in-law's favorite movie, and he really likes the western genre so I was excited to get a chance to watch this film. I have not seen many westerns, my experience with them has been limited mostly to the newer ones such as Appaloosa and Open Range. I've also seen a few of the Man with No Name movies, but that's it. Believe it or not, I've never seen a movie starring John Wayne. I have no excuses.

Clint Eastwood is, to me, the face of the western genre. When I think of a cowboy riding into town with gun belts strapped to his waist or herding cows across prairies it's him that I see, and in this movie he did not let that image down. Josey Wales was not a mean guy. He chose a peaceful life for himself but the war and the men caught up in it decided that wasn't the life that he was meant for. In the first 5 to 10 minutes his house is burned to the ground and his wife and son are murdered. What follows is a nice fellow pushed to the brink. He is branded an outlaw and hunted by both the law and bounty hunters, and he always stays one step ahead of them.

Watching this movie, anytime Joesy was ambushed I would get excited. I would start trying to figure out how he was going to get out of this one. Of course he always does manage to get out of it, and I was always delighted with the carnage that ensued.

On top of all the action there was a lot of comedy thrown in, Josey's habit of spitting tobacco was always enjoyable. Anytime he said a line after a pause in dialogue he would spit, and if there was anything dead or alive nearby, it was getting spit on. It doesn't sound here as funny as it actually is, you'll see what I mean if you watch this movie.

The old indian, Lone Watie, played by Chief Dan George, was wonderful. He was always either making you laugh or making you think. I want to see more of him, and I intend to do so. In the following clip you can see him in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHvtKL28uL8&feature=PlayList&p=3C5A38D203C5578F&index=0

If you haven't seen this movie then do yourself a favor and go watch it. Right now.

You are still here, go. It's waiting for you.

Seriously.

9 spittoon dings out of 10.

~Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment