Friday, February 19, 2010

The Big Red One(John)

I had never heard of this movie before we decided to watch it for the blog. I knew most of the names and faces: Lee Marvin, Robert Carradine and Mark Hammill. So, I expected to be blown away. However, I think, all in all, this movie fell a little short of that expectation.

From an acting perspective, I think there was really a lack of emotion in the movie. Very rarely did I feel like the people in this epic war movie felt any kind of pain or sadness. I'm not sure if this was the intention of the film but it really sucked the realism out of the film for me. However, despite the lack of emotion, I thought the delivery of lines and the situations the actors were put in were pretty good. Lee Marvin was born to be in war films. His face and general demeanor fits perfectly in the genre. I was a little off-put by the narration by Robert Carradine. I felt he didn't fit the part to do the narration and I would've much rather preferred Lee Marvin. Of course, that would've changed the film. I think Mark Hammill was my second favorite in the acting department in the movie. When you compare his performance in Star Wars: A New Hope to this, it's like comparing apples to oranges(oranges being much much better :P). When I said very rarely did I feel emotion from the actors in this movie, ninety percent of the exceptions came from Mark Hammill. He did an excellent job and I am glad I got to see him shine in this movie.

There were a few confusing parts in this movie that I didn't understand. Some of the military "tactics" really threw me for a loop. However, the story is definitely where I think the movie's strengths lie. The underlying message of the movie is that soldiers don't murder, they kill. You are presented with this early in the movie and it gets brought up quite a few times until the closure at the end. I thought this was an interesting message and it's ambiguous enough that much debate could be had. As far as how the movie gets to the ending, I thought it was a good showcase of what WWII would've been like. I'm not entirely sure that everything that happened in the movie was believable but maybe for the most part, it was.

The cinematography was pretty good. The camera explored a lot of different angles that I found to be interesting. The opening scene's coloring technique I had seen before in Schindler's List and I wondered if this is where Spielberg got it from. And, I wasn't sure if the film's grainy quality was on purpose or just a sign of the movie's age, but I liked it nonetheless. One thing that was off-putting was the grenade explosions. It was extremely obvious that it wasn't a real grenade. The setting was very authentic and made the world come alive. Lastly, the sound was pretty darn good. I could hear the release of an empty clip from a gun. The gunfire was really good and explosions were quite loud.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. There were some moments that confused me, the acting was really devoid of emotion and there were some effects that didn't come through for me. But, I did enjoy the story and the underlying message and there were some interesting camera shots going on that kept me eager to see the next scene.

I'm giving this movie an 8.0 out of 10.

- John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment