Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Royal Tenenbaums(John)

I've owned this movie for quite a few years. I've seen it maybe 3 times in the years that I've owned it. And all those times, I never really connected with the film. I thought some parts were funny, but I don't think I grasped the underlying story. Until now.

The characters in this film are some of the most unique I've ever seen. The Tenenbaum family is so dysfunctional and disconnected from each other that the children were basically able to become adults at a very early age. Each one has their own room and each room, to me, seemed like their own little house. For example, you have Chas Tenenbaum, who is a financial whiz kid and health nut. Then across the way, is Ritchie Tenenbaum, who is a master tennis player and likes to spend time with his bird, Mordechai. The movie is never boring because of the wide array of personalities that we are shown. The movie is also filled with an ensemble cast of actors: Bill Murray, Alec Baldwin, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson and much more. They made me believe that the Tenenbaums were, albeit problematic, a family. Speaking of Alec Baldwin, he did an excellent job narrating the film. The inflection(or lack of) in his voice fit perfectly for the movie.

The mixture of humor and sadness in this movie is very interesting. I think first and foremost, this is a comedy. There is a lot of subtle, smart jokes in this movie. And, if you pay attention, you will be rewarded by laughing. However, in the end, this film is able to tell a very heartwarming tale as well. I found myself laughing through most of the movie, but it did almost bring tears at the end with any scene focusing on Ben Stiller and Gene Hackman. Stiller's character has been an opposing force against his father throughout the whole movie and he finally breaks down near the end. This was a very touching part of the movie and I enjoyed it very much.

I really enjoyed this movie. Much more than I ever have from my previous viewings. It's not a movie I could recommend to anyone I don't think. But if what I've said above peaked your interest, please go get this movie.

I'm giving it a 9 out of 10.

- John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment