Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(John)

This was a pretty freaky movie. I say this even after the movie was basically ruined by a friend of mine who thought it was the funniest thing since Bill Cosby. I can definitely see where basically every horror film since then has borrowed at least one thing from this film. Heck, House of 1000 Corpses could almost be considered a remake of this film.

The acting was subpar. Of course, there was no real need for Oscar winning performances anyway. However, I have to say, the leader of the cannibals definitely made me think he was insane. And Leatherface was pretty terrifying. The teenagers were the stereotypical travelers who you know are going to die before the film is over except maybe one.

The visuals were creepy. Skeletons laying all over the place, Leatherface's human skin mask, grandpa. And the fact that this film was made with only $60,000 makes the visuals and camera work even more impressive.

I wasn't scared watching the film. But, as I said, that portion was ruined for me. However, I don't think I would've been scared anyway. I think the scaryness has faded since the release. If i'd watched this in the 70s, I probably would've crapped my pants and left the theater. Today, however, we as movie watchers have been subjected to much more frightening things. Even so, I would definitely recommend watching this film just to see where some of the greats got their ideas.

I'll give it a 7 out of 10.

- John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment