Friday, April 2, 2010

Amadeus(John)

I first saw this movie when I was in about seventh grade. Mrs. Bull, our band teacher, brought the movie in for band class. I don't remember her reason for having us watch the movie. I guess she thought it would make us appreciate music more. And, I would have to say, it fulfills that role as well as appreciation for many more aspects of the film.

So, the acting in the film is phenomenal. There is an all-star cast in this film and each one of them plays their part to the tee. F. Murray Abraham leads the film with his emotional narrations and his ability to play a man his own age as well as a senile older man. However, while F. Murray Abraham did an excellent job, the most outstanding performance for me would have to go to Tom Hulce, who played Mozart. His interesting portrayal of Mozart really sucked me into the film. Hulce basically had to play two different people. While Mozart was working on his music, he was focused and very devoted and serious. However, when he wasn't working, he was a womanizing alcoholic with childlike tendencies and a grating laugh. It was very interesting to see the shifts in his personality and it was executed perfectly.

The story was great. We are treated to an excellent story about Mozart's life, however inaccurate the story may be. We start all the way back to when Mozart was 5 and playing for Kings and we end as he dies. The interesting part is that the movie is narrated by Salieri, his rival. We see almost as much about his life as we do Mozart's. It was interesting how Salieri kept referring to Mozart as God's instrument and how Salieri has forsaken God because he chose Mozart over him. This theme was used throughout the movie. The last few scenes of the movie are the scenes I remember the most from when I watched it back in seventh grade. I don't know why they stuck with me over others, but they were definitely powerful scenes.

The music was amazing in the film. Almost all of the music were actual pieces that Mozart composed. I loved how the film started with some of his more light-hearted pieces and by the end the bombastic, dark and disturbing music was filling my ears. It was very fitting and set the tone for the scenes in the movie.

The set design was also very good. The costumes looked excellent. I could not believe how much detail was put into the scenes that involved the plays. It was as if there were whole operas and plays inside this one movie.

I tried to think of things that I did not like about the movie. But, really, I can't think of any. One thing that I would've liked to have seen would be a more accurate telling of Mozart's life. Although, I think we would've experienced a much more different(and possibly boring) film. This movie kept me at the edge of my seat the whole time. And there isn't even any action! The action scenes are the moments when Mozart is directing an opera, and this works so well.

I'm giving this movie a 9 out of 10.

- John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment