Monday, January 4, 2010

No Country For Old Men(John)

This was a very interesting movie to watch. The first time I watched it, I wasn't sure it was going to do it for me. I have liked every other Coen Brother's movie I've seen but this one seemed different. Long story short, I was pleasantly surprised.

The performances in this film are phenomenal. Almost every actor in this film makes you think that the stuff that happens is really happening. Tommy Lee Jones is extraordinary. He truly made me believe that he was an aging Texas lawman. And I can now not see Javier Bardem as anyone other than Anton Sugar, a psychopathic killer. Even Woody Harrelson's small role was excellent.

This movie could have been made in the 80s. From the hairstyles to the clothing, from the buildings to the newspapers, this movie is steeped in 80s culture. Making a film with the myriad of details this one had in it can only be a good thing. I didn't notice the music much. I'm not sure if there was much, if any. I think not having music during dramatic scenes increases the realism of the film. Music tends to take me out of a movie, especially if it is bad or not warranted.

There isn't much to the story really. A man finds some money and gets hunted down by people. But, the way the story is told kept me engrossed in the film the entire two hours and thirty minutes. There is so much tension between the characters throughout the whole film that, even though there isn't that much action, I felt like I had just watched a movie with a whole lot of action. I seriously felt exhausted after watching it. The story does come with a message, albeit a very subtle one. I interpreted the message to be this: Times are changing, but not as much as we would like to think. People are not good or evil. There is always a gray area. And even the toughest hombre can be taken out in a split second.

This is one of the best Coen Brother's films I've seen. I would have to say it's probably 3rd behind Fargo and Raising Arizona. This movie makes me want to read the book and see how much was taken from it. If you like Coen Brother's movies, go see this one. If you like tension throughout the movie and then a very very weird ending, go see this one.

I'll give it an 8.8 out of 10.

- John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment