Thursday, September 24, 2009

Brazil(John)

This movie floored me. Terry Gilliam is one of the most unique directors of the past 20 years. In this movie, he creates this industrial, materialistic world that could only come from his imagination. However, this movie is quite odd, so I can see where it will not be everyone's "cup of tea".

The acting was amazing. Each character had their own goals and played their parts expertly. Sam Lowry was this man who longed for a place that was not the world he lived in. His friend Jack is a seemingly nice man, who has a very dirty job, but treats it like any other normal job. Archibald Tuttle is this masked hero, who is attempting to bring down the current society. I also thoroughly enjoyed the scenes between Sam Lowry and the M.O.I repairmen. The scenes were this little insignificant piece of the film that was humorous and fit completely within the world. "I'm particular about paperwork".

The world of Brazil, as I mentioned, was awesome. This is a place where ducts are in style. Small computer monitors are common, but in order to see them, a huge mirror has to be placed in front of them. The majority of people relish things and want to have more and more things. Plastic surgery is a norm and terrorist attacks are not uncommon. I think the setting was my favorite part of the movie. It pulled me in and I couldn't wait to see the next scene. I also loved the mixture of 40s era things and more high tech gadgets.

The music was very good. I will have the little ditty that plays through the movie stuck in my head for days. The action scenes had bombastic scores while the more subdued scenes had a bit of a noir feel to them.

I would recommend this movie to any Terry Gilliam fan. Although, if you haven't seen this film, you probably aren't a Terry Gilliam fan. Some people are not going to like it, but this movie was right down my alley. Amazing set pieces, wonderful music and excellent acting. What more can you ask for?

I give it a 9.8 out of 10.

- John Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment